I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

BOOK: Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy

Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy
by Gary D. Schmidt

I couldn't stop myself from reading another book by Schmidt to see if I was still impressed.  I am.  I really like his books and this is another excellent one.

This time the setting is early 20th century in a small town in Maine.  Racism and segregation are central to the story, and there are some pretty intense scenes, including a death (not graphic), that make this book more appropriate for older kids and teens.  There are a couple of uses of common mild swear words.  It's a clean, touching and profound story that includes themes of inter-racial friendship and doing the right thing even when everyone else is against you.  The story is loosely based on actual historical events. 

Recommended for ages 12 and up.


No comments:

Post a Comment