I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Monday, March 21, 2011

"Flipback" Books

Not only do I love to read, but I love books.  Good old-fashioned paper & print books.  I am flummoxed by the popularity of the whole e-book reader thing (Kindle, Nook, et al).  It simply does not appeal to me.  I can understand their value to road-warriors who are also avid (and speedy) readers or are prone to be indecisive when it comes to choosing reading material, and would otherwise weigh their baggage down with multiple volumes from various genre. 

But the whole idea of reading something digital?  Ugh.  Give me the feel of a real book in my hand any day.  With real pages to turn.  And you don't have to charge batteries or wait for it to boot up.  You really can't improve on it, which is why this medium has remained basically the same for centuries. 

I don't know who wrote this, but when I first read it several years ago I thought that not only is it very clever, but it makes my point exactly.

Anyway, if printed books can be improved, it's possibly this that could do it.  No, I don't think it will kill the Kindle, but it's darn intriguing. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! I'm intrigued too--and very hopeful about what this could mean for the industry.

    ReplyDelete