I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Friday, November 18, 2011

BOOK: These Old Shades (Georgette Heyer)

These Old Shades
by Georgette Heyer

OK, one more Heyer book and then I'm taking a break from "Regency Romance" for a while.  But I had to write about this one because it's quite different from the other books of this genre I have read by the author.   Actually, that's not completely true... each one has been surprisingly different from the others, even though they are all "similar" over all.

This one was different in, well, different ways.  First of all, the story takes place mostly in France, rather than England, so many of the characters are French... that's enough difference right there.  (Stereotypically French rather than stately English.)  Secondly, the hero is more the center of the story rather than the heroine, and it's told more frequently from a male point of view, and in quite a different voice.  (Besides, I hated the hero at first.... until I got to know him.)  Lastly, although there is a romance, the.... "Intrigue" is more central to the story.  Yes, that's just the word for it... intrigue. 

Because of these marked differences it took me a while to "get into" this book.  But once I did I was hooked... yet again.

Other good words to describe this book:  clever, witty, and shocking.

No comments:

Post a Comment