I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

BOOK: The Night Circus

The Night Circus
by Erin Morgenstern

This book grabbed me on the first page and I could hardly put it down.  I stayed up until 2:00 am this morning to finish reading it and never even got drowsy.  (Books that do that to me are few and far between.)  I wouldn't say it's the best book I ever read (though I think it would easily make my top-20 favorites, possibly top-10), but the writing is so fantastic and imaginative that I was completely sucked in, and the story is so compelling that I simply had to find out what would finally happen to the many characters I had grown to know and love over the decades through which the story unfolds.

And it unfolds very slowly.... and beautifully.  The descriptions of this amazing magic circus of dreams left me wishing it were all real.  I savored the description of each exhibit and could easily imagine myself there.  The magic is lovely and sweet, occasionally harsh, but rarely dark or evil. 

The one disappointment with this book was actually early on, and it worried me... the f-word appears rather unexpectedly and is quite out-of-place.  Thankfully that was it.  There was one other instance of mild profanity, and a couple of moments of very mild violence.  There is also one love scene near the end that is mild and very vague.

Another great book from a first time novelist.  Impressive.

Recommended for:  Adults

1 comment:

  1. I just finished. Beautifully written. Thank you for the recommendation, Alice!

    ReplyDelete