I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

BOOK: The Forgotten Garden

The Forgotten Garden
by Kate Morton

I really enjoyed this great mystery of sorts, filled with plenty of shocking revelations, great character development and growth, and a little romance.  Though the story jumps around in time a lot, it was well-done rather than confusing.  Kate Morton is a good writer and I look forward to reading more by her.  However, I was a bit annoyed by her frequent use of incomplete sentences.  It was quite prevalent and I had a hard time "letting it go."  I assume it was used as a stylistic/literary device rather than ignorance or poor editing, but it really bugged me sometimes.  Otherwise I thought it was well-written.

Aside from a few instances of very mild profanity, there is really only one thing that might make some readers uncomfortable.  I don't want to give anything away, but there is something revealed toward the end of the book that is a bit shocking but it's not graphic.  I consider myself very conservative when it comes to books and this made me slightly uncomfortable, but it is nothing that would keep me from recommending this book whole-heartedly.

Recommended for Adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment