I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

BOOK: Just Ella

Just Ella
by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Bleh.  This youth book was just plain awful.  The writing was just OK, and the story was mildly interesting, but I was absolutely disgusted by the way the author took the wonderful, sweet story of Cinderella and turned it into a feminist manifesto.  Ugh.  Instead of kind and good and long-suffering, this "Ella" despises her step-mother and step-sisters and her fondest wish is to take revenge against them.  She is rude and self-centered and seeks only her own happiness.... and according to the author this is supposed to be a good thing.  It just left me feeling sick to my stomach. 

I will definitely discourage my daughter from reading it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment