I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

BOOK: Matched (Ally Condie)

Matched
by Ally Condie

This young adult novel was quite interesting.  I would put it in the same category as Twilight and The Hunger Games, though it's far superior to both (and their sequels), in a number of ways. 

1)  There is more depth to the characters and relationships, making this book much preferable for teen readers (or any reader, for that matter).

2)  There is nothing offensive, which is more than I can say about most books for this audience... Twilight, The Hunger Games, et al.  Not even one swear word that I can recall.  Refreshing.

3)  There is plenty of tension and action, but this intriguing story has more depth and causes the reader to really think.

It's not a perfect book by any means, but it is quite good.  In fact, unlike T & THG, I would be fine with my own teenage children read it.  That's saying something.

The sequel, Crossed, was just released this week.  I hope the author doesn't let me down.

Age recommendation:  13 and up

No comments:

Post a Comment