I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

FILM: Strictly Ballroom (1992)

Strictly Ballroom (1992)
rated PG

I first saw this delightfully quirky Australian film many, many years ago... and several times since.  I watched it again recently first the time in years and enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time.  It's a charming and funny story with hilarious characters, touching moments of truth, and a lovely "Cinderella" twist.  There is a bit of mild language*, the ballroom costumes show quite a bit of skin and some of the dancing is a bit on the sensual side, but it's fairly tame.

And should you think that your tough-guy hubby or boyfriend won't like it, think again.   If he has a sense of humor, he will.




[I give out 5 stars only very infrequently, and only after careful deliberation.  Before I gave it much thought I was going to give this film 4 stars, but after thinking about it a moment longer I realized there is really nothing wrong with it, and MUCH that is excellent... a story filled with great characters, touching moments, and timeless themes of romantic love, family love, friendship, loyalty, perseverance and hard work... plus lots of humor.  There is something for everyone, and it deserves 5 stars.]

* Apparently, but I didn't catch any, possibly because there are a few un-subtitled phrases blurted out in Spanish, or, more likely because of the heavy Aussie accents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment