I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

BOOK: The Magic Thief (Book One)

The Magic Thief
by Sarah Prineas

One of my friends received this book as a gift from a friend years ago but no one ever read it.  When my 9-year-old was sick this summer (and his siblings were out of town) I wanted to read aloud to him and decided to give this one a try.  We were both delightfully surprised.  The story is fun and compelling and the writing is decent (I was occasionally annoyed by the clunky style, but that may have been mostly because I was reading it aloud).  It is a bit of a Harry Potter rip off, but that's OK.... the author knows what sells to kids. 

There is no offensive language, but a bit of very mild violence (thugs beating up a boy), and a few mildly frightening scenes. 

Recommended for:  Ages 8-12

No comments:

Post a Comment