I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Friday, September 16, 2011

BOOK: The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind
by William Kamkwamba (and Bryan Mealer)

This amazing memoir from a poor farm boy in Malawi is truly inspiring.  A self-taught scientist, electrician and inventor, he designed and built a windmill to bring electricity to his home and village... and brought hope with it.  It changed his life in dramatic ways.

The story is at times heartbreaking, and the living conditions and descriptions of life in a third world country during drought, disease and death are a bit difficult to bear.  My 12 year old read the book and really enjoyed it as well.  I think he learned some great lessons too.... be grateful for the wonderful circumstances you live in, work hard and you can accomplish anything.  An excellent read.

No comments:

Post a Comment