I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Friday, September 16, 2011

BOOK: Cotillion

Cotillion
by Georgette Heyer

My sister only recently introduced me to Georgette Heyer.  What a find!  This is a very fun, clever and witty story, well-told and utterly delightful.  (It would make a great film/mini-series.... BBC, are you listening?)

The period slang is a little difficult at times, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it.  Jane Austen fans, grab a Georgette Heyer novel and enjoy.  If you are not an Austen fan, best steer clear. 

Apparently Heyer was quite prolific, publishing two books a year on average.  Many were "Georgian" and "Regency" as this one is (a la Jane Austen), but she also wrote thrillers, historical novels, contemporary novels, and short stories.  I'm looking forward to reading more!

2 comments:

  1. Cotillion and The Grand Sophy are my two favorites. I was introduced by my mother, naturally :) She has read pretty much all of them and has duplicates of some, so if you're looking for some hard-to-find ones, let her know!

    p.s. she's right here and said some her other favorites (and mine!) include: These Old Shades (and its sequel Devil's Cub)l Black Sheep, Sylvester, Arabella, A Civil Contract, Venetia, The Nonesuch, and The Unknown Ajax.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noted! Thanks for the tip, Alice and kt!

    ReplyDelete