I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

BOOK: The Casual Vacancy (2012)

The Casual Vacancy
by J.K. Rowling

Ugh.  What a disappointment.  I thoroughly enjoyed the Harry Potter series, even though the books are "technically" for "kids," so I was eager to read her first novel for adults.  I didn't make it past page 14; I was too annoyed by obnoxious characters that weren't even remotely interesting, and completely turned-off by the extensive use of the f-word, along with other vulgar language.  It's just not worth my time.

Why is that some authors think they have to resort to trashy content and vulgar language to appeal to adults?  Apparently Rowling thought she had to in order to move beyond her "children's books."  If so, that's a shame.... does she not realize there is much in her Harry Potter books that appeal to BOTH kids and adults? 

As a side note:  I was surprised when I received this book so quickly after reserving it at the library... I figured it would be a long time before my name came up since the list was very long.  Maybe it's because other people abandoned it just as quickly as I did making it available for other suckers, I mean people like me. 

1 comment:

  1. Consider yourself lucky for stopping at page 14. I should have. I just had so much darn faith in J.K that I KNEW if I could get past the language it would be fabulous. It was not. It is the worst book I have ever read and that is saying a lot. The ending was horrific.

    ReplyDelete