I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

BOOK: What Came from the Stars

What Came From the Stars
by Gary D. Schmidt

I couldn't resist checking out Schmidt's latest book since I have thoroughly enjoyed all the others I have read by him.  Once again I was not disappointed.  This capitivating Tolkein/C.S. Lewis-esque story is part family drama, part coming-of-age tale, and part adventure, with a sci-fi twist.  It is also well-written and compelling.

There is no offensive language.  There is some violence in the form of battle scenes, and yet the author somehow manages to leave out all descriptions of violence without taking away from the intensity of the scene.  Authors who feel the need to include gratuitous violence should take a page out of Schmidt's book. 

Recommended for:  Ages 12 to adult

No comments:

Post a Comment