I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

BOOK: Stormbreaker (Alex Rider Adventure series)

Storm Breaker
by Anthony Horowitz

This is the first book in a series of adventures about Alex Rider, a fourteen-year-old reluctant spy.  I guess I would call it "James Bond for the Harry Potter set."   It's very exciting, and the action is quite intense, but the violence is definitely toned-down for kids, and not graphic, which is greatly appreciated by this parent.  I also appreciate that there is no "language."  Refreshing!  [I'll never understand why authors insist on using foul language in their books.... it's simply not necessary.  I suppose it's merely a sign of bad writing, as if the author can't come up with a better way for a character to express themselves. (It's also true of "real" people who use that kind of "language".... they sound ignorant and uneducated, not to mention boorish.)  It's a cop-out.]  So, I was happy to let my 11-year-old son read it, and he loved it, naturally.  Actually, so did I.

I look forward to reading the next one!

Age recommendation:  11 - 16 years (or 40)  :P

No comments:

Post a Comment