I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

FILM: Alex Rider: Operation Stormbreaker (2006)

Alex Rider:  Operation Stormbreaker (PG)
starring (get ready)....
Alex Pettyfer
Bill Nighy
Micky Rourke
Alicia Silverstone
Sophie Okonedo
Missi Pyle
Andy Serkis
Robbie Coltrane
Stephen Fry


Did I make my point there?  That's a pretty impressive cast list!  The lead is an "unknown" (well, was at the time anyway), but the supporting cast is jam-packed with some amazing actors.  Quite frankly, I was a bit surprised that so many of them would have taken such bit parts in a "little" film that is, well.... fun, but not quite on the same level with their other films.  But, it's all good.

I couldn't resist renting this one after reading the book.  The author wrote the screenplay, so I expected the film to follow the book quite closely.... and it did, until the very end.  An additional ending was tacked on that seemed, well, just that.... tacked on.  It was a bit silly, but my kids didn't seem to mind.

As a mother watching this with my children, I appreciated that even the mean tough-guys said things like, "What the heck are you doing?" though it made my husband and me roll our eyes.  Of course, the kids didn't think a thing of it.  The violence is very toned-down (Disney-style) where you know the bad-guys "got it" but you don't see anything.  The film gets it's PG-rating from the action.  No "language."

Overall, it was entertaining, but the book was much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment