I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Friday, April 29, 2011

BOOK: Austenland

Austenland
by Shannon Hale

Dear "Pride and Prejudice" Fan,

Yes, you. You know who you are.  And I'm not talking about the book. 

If you love the BBC mini-series (or even if you like the 2005 film with Kiera Knightley which is utterly inferior, but for some reason people like it) and you haven't read Shannon Hale's "Austenland" then you are in for a treat. I read it in practically one sitting, which isn't a tremendous feat considering it's less than 200 pages long, and is a delightful and easy read.   I absolutely giggled my way through the book. If you are a Jane Austen fan, you won't be disappointed.... how could you not love a book that begins with a dedication reading, "For Colin Firth: You're a really great guy, but I'm married, so I think we should just be friends."

However, if you are an Austen-purist, you should probably stay away.  This book is pure silly fun.



[Shannon Hale is an excellent writer.  Her youth and young adult books are wonderful.  This was her first adult novel and the first one I read.  Since I was pleased with it I eagerly read "The Actor and the Housewife."  Ugh!  I'm not going to waste my time telling you all the things wrong with it.  It was disturbing on so many levels.]

1 comment:

  1. I think I have read every book she has published. I love them all except "The Actor and The Housewife". I practically threw that book at the wall I truly hated it so much.
    Glad to know I wasn't the only one.
    Ps. I love this blog of yours!!!!!

    ReplyDelete