I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Friday, April 8, 2011

FILM: An Education (2009)

An Education (PG-13)
starring Carey Mulligan, Peter Sarsgaard, Alfred Molina, Olivia Williams

This is a well-made coming-of-age story.... it's well-told, well-acted and it leaves you feeling positive about the main character's future, rather than depressed.  Carey Mulligan is lovely and talented and has become quite a star, and Peter Sarsgaard is very charming and convincing in this role.  Alfred Molina is always excellent, and have I mentioned what I think of Olivia Williams?  Yes, she is fantastic, though her role is relatively small.

And yes, it's PG-13... what do you expect from a "coming-of-age" film?  The rating comes primarily from prevalent smoking ("everyone" smoked in the 60's) and some discussions of adult topics, which, frankly, should be limited to adults, not the 14, 15 and 16-year-olds who technically would be welcome.  There is a "nude scene" but you nothing but a bare back, and only one or two instances of mild profanity.  I don't think teens are much of an audience for this film anyway.  Adults will be much more interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment