I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

BOOK SERIES: Jimmy Fincher Saga (series)

Jimmy Fincher Saga:
A Door in the Woods (Book One)
A Gift of Ice (Book Two)
by James Dashner

My son read these first and loved them (there are 4 books in the series, but I have only read the first two so far) so I bought them for our school library.  The story is compelling and interesting, but the writing isn't great.... in fact, it's rather amateurish.  (I was not surprised when I found out these books were the author's first attempt at writing when he deviated from a career in accounting.)  I think most kids will overlook that for the value of a story that keeps them turning pages.

However, at times I had to force myself to keep reading.  Remember how I said I prefer this kind of story?  Well, these books have a serious lack of character development... it's pure action/adventure without the human experience added to the mix, so I found myself rather bored at times and sort of just "skimming."  But again, I guess I'm not really the intended audience, so maybe that isn't important.

Like I said, these are pure action/adventure, so naturally they contain some violence, though it's very mild and never graphic.  So far there has been no "language" or anything else offensive.

Age Recommendation:  9 and up
(I'm being generous because my son loved the books.)

No comments:

Post a Comment