I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

FILM: The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010)

The Sorcerer's Apprentice (PG)
starring Nicholas Cage, Jay Baruchel, Alfred Molina

We watched this with our kids last night.  They loved it.  I enjoyed it, but Jay said the lead actor's goofy voice and overall goofiness drove him crazy.  I thought it was endearing and appropriate... after all, he plays the part originated by Mickey Mouse, so he needs to be goofy.  

I guess you can call it a remake of the original Disney cartoon from Fantasia (which was based on Goethe's poem), but there are very few similarities, though they did include a scene featuring magical janitorial equipment.  But then what do you expect when you make a present-day feature-length live-action film based on an 8 minute long cartoon short with no dialogue.  There is plenty to critique, but lots to like about it.  Just enjoy the show. 

It's a fun bit of adventure, though probably a bit scary for younger children (hence the PG-rating).... my 7-year-old said he wasn't scared, but he looked like he was once or twice.  There were one or two mild swear words and some mild violence.  Oh, and a couple of sweet kisses that my boys covered their eyes during.  Silly boys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment