I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

BOOK: These Is My Words

These is My Words
by Nancy Turner

I'm amazed that this was Nancy Turner's first novel.  It's well-written, exciting and romantic, and clean. It's written in diary form, and the character is uneducated (hence the title) so it took a little getting used to, but once I did I was totally into the story.  I was excited to find out there are two sequels, which are just as good as the first.... perhaps even better.  There is something for everyone in these books... great characters, action and adventure, plenty of romance, and even a bit of comedy.  The book contains a handful of mild swear words and a few frightening scenes but nothing offensive.  I have added this excellent novel to my personal "Top-5 Favorite Books of All Time."

4 comments:

  1. I read this book on a recommendation of a good friend a while ago. I loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You think the other two are better? I was a little disappointed in them only because everyone was older and there weren't as many cute anecdotes, not to mention her writing was better (grammatically, etc.) so it just wasn't as fun. But I love, Love, LOVED this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't get me wrong Tara... the first book is still the best, but I definitely liked the sequels a lot more than I thought I would. Since they are less diary-like than the first they naturally have fewer anecdotes because events aren't recalled day to day. I enjoyed the writing style in the 2nd and 3rd and the trials and hardships made the story very full and rich even though it was sad and difficult. I was moved by the characters and relationships... SPOILER ALERT: And even though the love story in the first book is wonderful, the later love story is so sweet and deep and lovely... and mature. It was so fitting for a more mature character instead of a young girl swept off her feet by romance. Both are wonderful but it was just nice to read about a mature romance since literature seems to be filled with a lot of the young romance. I must be getting old. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! These is My Words is probably the first book I recommend to people. It is in my Top Five list, also. I especially love the Arizona content. My great-grandmother grew up in St. David in the 1890's and I felt that I caught a better glimpse of her life through reading These is My Words.

    I will give the sequels another chance since you liked them so well. I am not normally into sequels.

    ReplyDelete