I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

BOOK: A Year Down Yonder

A Year Down Yonder
by Richard Peck

This is a sequel to A Long Way from Chicago.  I enjoyed this gentle story set in the 1930's about a big-city teenage girl sent to spend the school year with her larger-than-life grandmother in a very small town.  Mary Alice makes friends, develops a relationship with her grandmother, and learns about life and herself along the way.  Just the kind of story I like.

The book contains nothing offensive, but the subject matter is geared toward older children, teens, and adults.  There is plenty of humor, but also lump-in-your-throat moments.  My favorite line in the book; "She knew me through and through. She had eyes in the back of her heart."

Age recommendation:  13 and up

No comments:

Post a Comment