I'm a mom of 3 kids, and I love to read and watch movies, and I'm picky about what my kids read and watch.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

BOOK: The Tenant of Wildfell Hall

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
by Anne Bronte

This short novel has a few interesting plot twists and drama, but is seriously lacking in several areas.  The love story develops for seemingly no reason at all and between two characters the reader never really gets to know.  These problems are likely the result of the format of the novel, which takes the form of a letter, and which includes long passages from a diary and other letters.  It was interesting enough to finish, but just so-so.

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I loved this one and recommend the book all the time. While traveling through England last week (!) it was the scene at the end of the book that kept coming to my mind. It never occurred to me that they didn't deserve each other and love each other. I was impressed by the rant against alcoholism--so different in a book from that era.

    ReplyDelete